The week after vacation is rough! I don’t think I have to emphasize the drag of the transition from carefree, relaxed, and sipping cocktails at noon back to the daily routine (i.e. grind). There was a point in time last year where I flew over 20 times in 3 weeks-let’s just say I had to develop some strategies to fight the post-vacation blues and keep myself sane! However, let’s start with an insanely lame analogy (or insanely amazing lol)-this little blue dress is the opposite of post-vacay depression feelings: it’s happy, fun, flirty, and relaxed.
Picture Credit: Elizabeth Grant Photography
When I first posted this blue dress on Instagram I said it’s all my favorite spring trends in one and I’m still totally smitten-off the shoulder, embroidery, flared sleeves, and smocked top. It’s a bit more of a splurge piece than I would normally opt for, but I can think of so many events to wear it (bachelorette parties, brunch, bridal showers…) that it was an easier purchase than most splurges! You can shop my other picks from this brand below, or find some more in this post!
My dress comes in white (hello, LWD for brides!), yellow, and coral-all fun, summery options! I paired this dress with lace up espadrilles for a fun, flirty vibe. For a more dressed up look, I swapped in my timeless nude strappy heels (under $30 dupe linked here), added a straw clutch (exact linked) as an extra summer-y accent (and I linked a few other fun ones below)! Puppy photo bomb optional (read more about the pups here)!
(Blue dress) so cute it just makes you look forward to the next vacay instead of longing for the last, ammiright? I minimize the post-vacation blues by settling right back in to a schedule: I know this is easier said than done. Below I’m sharing a few strategies I use to help me get back in a routine (get my life back together) after travel!
- Unpack and start laundry the minute you get home. Unpacking (and packing) stresses me out, so I try to get the dreaded task out of the way as soon as possible. I won’t let myself shower or change in to pjs before I unpack as an incentive to keep moving.
- Get groceries if you’re home early enough in the day to head to the store. At the very least, plan what you’re going to cook for the week so next day’s grocery trip is organized and efficient. Post-vacation, I’m more than ready to get back to normal eating habits.
- Plan your workouts for the week: write your gym routine in your planner or book your classes for the whole week. I do this every week regardless of if I’m travelling! I prioritize my workouts as much as meetings and appointments. Booking classes in advance means I’ll never flake- who wants to pay that missed class fee?!
- Pack your bags for the morning. When I travel I have my wallet in one place, keys in another, computer somewhere else. Get all your work things ready for the morning to minimize scrambling. I’m usually dragging the first day back to work and I am thanking myself in the morning when I can smoothly exit without running around looking for things I need to function for the day.
- On to the next: have something planned to get excited about! Whether it’s as small as date night in or as ambitious as planning your next trip, it always helps to look forward to another fun event! Not to say don’t look fondly back on your memories-look at pictures, post on IG, write a travel diary (most recent one here), and frame your favorite shots!
Shop the Post:
How do you kick the post-vacation blues?