When my friends started getting engaged, I really had no idea what was appropriate in terms of congratulations! My friends and I all sent each other gifts-nothing huge, just a little something special to say congratulations! It was tough to figureout the protocol for gifting! I’ll tell you what I did in terms of gifts, and I rounded up some of my favorite gift ideas below!
About half my friends had an engagement party, half did not. If your friend is having an engagement party, it’s definitely okay to wait on a gift until the party. An engagement party gift, in my opinion, is more directed towards the couple than the individual. Home items, monogram items with their new last initial(make sure she’s changing her last name first), wedding date engraved-all make for great couple gifts.
If your friend is not having an engagement party, it’s up to you who you gift-the couple or the individual person your closer with. For my closest girlfriends, I did both! I got my friend an engagement gift to “her,” such as Mrs. glasses or a ring dish, and couple gifts for their party. It’s up to you and your budget how you go about gifiting for engagements, but I found this worked really well! It’s not about the money you spent, but the thought that really counts!
PS: ALWAYS ALWAYS include a card with a handwritten note. And as a couple receiving a gift, always send a thank you note!
- Passport cover + luggage tags: the monogram (can even put Mrs./Mr.) makes for a great couple gift for the newlyweds you know are going to travel for their honeymoon!
- Ring Box: so in love with these boxes from The Mrs. Box! Comes in a ton of colors + with monogram options!
- Personalized Coasters: these wooden coasters are a nice gift for the understated couple-pair with craft beer or a growler from their favorite local brewery!
- Acrylic tray: such a great serving piece for entertaining in the home.
- Marble + Wood cheese board: pair with a gift card to a local cheese shop or grocery store, bottle of wine, and you have a great gift!
- Blanket: seriously the best blanket, so affordable at under $40, and comes in so many colors! A no-brainer gift for really any occasion!
- Candle: Love how this one is “Prosecco” scented-pair with a bottle of prosecco for a great gift for her!
- Monogram copper mug: Copper mugs are so fun and chic. Gift with a cocktail set or shaker, and maybe some goodies like ginger beer!
- Monogram decanter set: I know Sean would appreciate this gift + a bottle of whiskey! (Would look great on a bar cart, so she’ll love it, too)!
- Bride box: these are soo “classic bride” gift and I so love it! When else can you go all out fun with “Mrs.” and “bride” everything!
- Personalized doormat: also makes a nice housewarming gift! So many different styles to choose from here.
- Champagne flutes: I love how whimsical and unique Michael Aram designs are!
- Insulated tote: perfect for bringing some cocktails +snacks to the beach! Packable for a honeymoon, too!
I hope some of these gift ideas gave you some ideas on what to gift your friend or couple the next time someone gets engaged, buys a house, or just because! What has been your favorite gift to give or receive?